Stirring the Sheets by Chad Lutzke

Stirring the Sheets - Chad Lutzke

STIRRING THE SHEETS is a novella by Chad Lutzke that left me wrung out on the floor, but in a good way!

When Emmett loses his wife of 50 years, he has a hard time getting over his grief. He seems fine to most of the outside world-he's eating, he goes to work at the mortuary and he talks to his neighbors, both the nice one and the not so nice one. His neighbors don't know that Emmett hasn't touched the sheets on his bed since his wife passed, instead he sleeps on the couch. There are a few other things they don't know as well, but the author has to tell you those himself.

The grief in this book is palpable. I felt like I could reach out and touch it. (In this way, STIRRING THE SHEETS brought to mind the grief I felt when reading OF FOSTER HOMES AND FLIES last year.) I've been married for almost 33 years now and I can't imagine losing my spouse after such a long time. The things that people do when overcome by grief can be terrible and hard to understand. I think I understand Emmett and what he did, though. I wonder if you can?

Over the past several years I've developed a fondness for both Chad Lutzke and John Boden, (John wrote the touching and heartfelt introduction for this book). They have a writing style all their own, both completely individual but recognizable. This novella is all Chad's. All the grief, all the poignancy, and that little bit of hope? They're all Chad's.

My highest recommendation to any fan of dark fiction!

Available on Friday the 13th or pre-order here:Stirring the Sheets

*I was provided an e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.*