RAGE by Richard Bachman

Rage - Stephen King, Richard Bachman

I read RAGE for the first time over 20+ years ago, so the story seemed new to me.

In the light of all the school shootings that have occurred since this book was written, I understand why Stephen King, (aka Richard Bachman),  pulled it from publication in later editions of The Bachman Books.

That said, I do not think this is a good example of King's work. I've always thought that it was King's characters that make his stories so great, but I didn't find the characters in this story to have much depth. I didn't care about any of them and other than the novelty of being inside the school shooter's head, I didn't find anything special about this tale, other than that I did need to see it through to the end.

I re-read RAGE so that I could take part in a local Stephen King book group, and I'm glad that I did. (Though I'm still waffling about actually attending the group meeting, as my introvert alarm is sounding.) I say that I'm glad because this story reminded me that King hasn't always been the master of storytelling that he is today, he stumbled now and then. But hey, even when he stumbles he gets 3/5 stars from me because RAGE is a compelling tale.