WICKED RIVER by Jenny Milchman

Wicked River - Jenny Milchman

Books like this are the reason I don't go camping. Read it, and you might not be willing to go either!

Natalie and her brand new husband Doug have decided to spend their honeymoon camping in the forested mountains of the Adirondacks. At least, she tells herself they've decided. Mostly, it seems Doug has decided and she went along with it. Unable to read a map, Natalie's misgivings become even more bothersome when their GPS is lost and then they turn to outright terror when they come across a dead body. Little does she know that their adventure has really just begun. What happened to the dead man they found? Will Natalie and Doug make it out alive? You'll have to read WICKED RIVER to find out!

At first, I didn't think I would enjoy this story. Natalie is wishy-washy and what kind of woman doesn't stand up and say she doesn't want to sleep on the damn ground on her honeymoon? That's the thing though, all of the characters change and grow throughout the story and that had me rapidly turning these pages.

The only real problem I had with this book was with Natalie's 13 year old niece Mia. I think her sections only served to slow down the pacing. Also, many of her actions were just not believable. Everything else about this story rang true to me-the award winning couch sitter and non-camping extraordinaire that I am. Books like these only prove to show me that I'm correct in staying far away from the wilderness. I've read too many horror books for that.

I am so glad I tried something a bit out of my wheelhouse because WICKED RIVER was, (mostly), fast paced and WICKED fun!

Recommended to fans of mystery/suspense and thrillers.

*Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for the e-copy of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*