Blog Tour Stop: Hunter Shea Talks People-Eating Monsters!

Today, I consider myself quite lucky to be hosting Mr. Hunter Shea!

Many of you here at Booklikes are familiar with him already, but if you're not-he's the author of these fun and exciting books, (among others!)

By Hunter Shea The Montauk Monster - Hunter Shea  The Jersey Devil - Hunter Shea  We Are Always Watching - Hunter Shea  They Rise: A Deep Sea Thriller - Hunter Shea

And this is his latest!:

Today, he's here to talk about people-eating monsters!

Take it away, Mr. Shea!

Five Colossal People-Eating Monster Books

If you grew up in a certain era, B-movie monster flicks were everywhere. From the drive-in (remember those) to the single screen movie theater, Chiller Theatre and Creature Feature on television and in the pages of Famous Monster of Filmland. I was one of those kids who thrilled to the giant killer ants in Them! and the swarms of frogs in, well, Frogs. One of my favorite double features was Jaws and Grizzly. That day was almost better than Christmas. Almost.

Sure, there are still a ton of new monster movies being made today, thanks to the SyFy Channel and various streaming programs like Netflix, Shudder and Amazon Prime. But where do you turn to get your B-monster reading fix? Fear not, there are books out there for lovers of monsters like me to devour like fleeing pedestrians. You just have to know where to look. In the spirit of giving, here are five great B-monster books you should be reading. When you’re finished, look at other books the publisher has put out to bulk up your monster book shelf!

WORM by Tim Curran

Worm - Tim Curran

These are not the wet willie worms of the 70s classic, Squirm. These monsters are enormous…and hungry! One of the things that really makes a great B-monster book is the level of carnage, and there is no shortage in this puppy. Tim Curran has a host of other monster books that will shiver your timbers. Start with Worm and, um, worm your way through his catalogue.

SIEGE OF STATION 19 by Raegan Butcher

Siege of Station 19 - Raegan Butcher

Now this is an author who gets it. Raegan is the writer that any lover of monsters should be reading. This was the first book of his that I read and I LOVED it. Think of Assault on Precinct 13 with some frightening bug beasts. The action is intense and the dialogue is sharper than a blade, not to mention witty as hell. He’s also written four stellar books about killer, mutant Chupacabras. We need to make this man a household name, STAT!

SLEEP TIGHT by Jeff Jacobson

Sleep Tight - Jeffrey Jacobson

My editor at Kensington suggested I read this itchy, icky novel when I was writing my own monster book, The Jersey Devil. I don’t know about you, but bed bugs skeeve the hell out of me. Well, think of an entire city overrun by the nasty chiggers. The level of insanity this book reaches is stellar. I subconsciously scratched myself the entire time I read it, not realizing I was doing it until my wife asked me if I needed Benadryl spray.

CAVERN OF THE DAMNED by Russell James.

Cavern of the Damned - Russell James

A paleontologist, a long-sealed cave in the desert and a host of giant, pissed off creatures that have never seen the light of day. What more can I say? It’s a gleeful deep dive into a hidden world filled with lots of super nasties, all waiting to take a bite out of the hapless humans who are desperate to find a way out. The best part is, there is a fantastic follow up novel called Monsters in the Clouds. I felt like a kid again, watching an R rated version of Journey to the Center of the Earth.

THE HAUNTED FOREST TOUR by Jeff Strand and James A. Moore.

The Haunted Forest Tour - Jeff Strand,James A. Moore

What do you get when two powerhouse writers combine to unleash their monster loving glee in a primeval forest? One amazing book that will leave you gasping. Easily one of the best monster books written in the past twenty years. I wanted it to go on forever, you know, like a Stephen King book. All I can pray for now is a sequel.

Thank you, Mr. Shea!

In the mood for more monster mayhem? Check out Hunter Shea’s latest, JURASSIC FLORIDA. Publishers Weekly calls it a “hilarious creature-feature gorefest from pulp horror maven Shea.”

About the Book:

Come visit Polo Springs, Florida, a town that may or may not be on the map tomorrow.

FLORIDA. IT’S WHERE YOU GO TO DIE. Welcome to Polo Springs, a sleepy little town on Florida’s Gulf Coast. It’s a great place to live—if you don’t mind the hurricanes. Or the flooding. Or the unusual wildlife . . .

IGUANAS. THEY’RE EVERYWHERE. Maybe it’s the weather. But the whole town is overrun with the little green bastards this year. They’re causing a lot of damage. They’re eating everything in sight. And they’re just the babies . . .

HUMANS. THEY’RE WHAT’S FOR DINNER. The mayor wants to address the iguana problem. But when Hurricane Ramona slams the coast, the town has a bigger problem on their hands. Bigger iguanas. Bigger than a double-wide. Unleashed by the storm, this razor-toothed horde of prehistoric predators rises up from the depths—and descends on the town like retirees at an early bird special. Except humans are on the menu. And it’s all you can eat . . .

You can get the book at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and wherever ebooks are sold.

Visit Hunter Shea at Huntershea.com and sign up for his Dark Hunter Newsletter for a free book!