Char's Horror Corner: Top Ten Novellas of 2018!

I'll Bring You the Birds from Out of the Sky - Brian Hodge Wylding Hall - Elizabeth Hand Blanky - Kealan Patrick Burke Stirring the Sheets - Chad Lutzke Rattus New Yorkus - Hunter Shea Exit Strategy - Martha Wells The Mirror of the Nameless - Leesa Wallace, Graeme Parker, Luke Walker The Sea Dreams It Is the Sky: A Novella of Cosmic Horror - John Hornor Jacobs Out Behind the Barn - Chad Lutzke, John Boden October - Michael Rowe

Welcome to my Top Ten Novellas List!

This was a great year of reading here at CHC. I read a ton of novellas in 2018,

(as usual), and here are what I thought were the best of the best!

(These are books I read this year, They were not necessarily released this year.)

Click on the cover to read my review.

Let's get started!

I've adored the work of Brian Hodge for many years now, and thanks to my friend Andi, I now happily own a copy of this beautiful, dark novella. It's out of this world!

I'll Bring You the Birds from Out of the Sky - Brian Hodge

WYLDING HALL by Elizabeth Hand was a phenomenal ghost story in the perfect length.

Just the way I like them, short, dark and creepy.

Wylding Hall - Elizabeth Hand

Kealan Patrick Burke is one of my very favorite dark fiction authors. Sometimes in your face gritty and other times, subtle and grief ridden. In which category does BLANKY fall? You should read it and find out.

Blanky - Kealan Patrick Burke

STIRRING THE SHEETS by Chad Lutzke is a beautiful and poignant novella and I just adored it. Mark my words people, Chad Lutzke is the REAL DEAL.

Stirring the Sheets - Chad Lutzke

RATTUS NEW YORKUS

I love me a good creature feature and this is definitely one of the best I've read this year!

If you're not reading Hunter Shea, you should rectify that ASAP!

Rattus New Yorkus - Hunter Shea

I read a lot more science fiction this year, and Martha Wells' Murderbot Series is definitely part of the reason why. This, the fourth novella in the series was my absolute favorite. I think the novellas got better with each entry. (I cannot get Booklikes to locate the copy of the book I reviewed, this is the cover of the audio.)

Exit Strategy - Martha Wells

I've been reading the work of Luke Walker for a few years now and it's my opinion that he deserves to be more well known. I particularly enjoyed this book which featured insane creatures running around and a world that accept them.

The Mirror of the Nameless - Leesa Wallace,Graeme Parker,Luke Walker

THE SEA DREAMS IT IS THE SKY was a deep,  dark novella featuring gorgeous prose. It was difficult to read at times, but also beautiful.

The Sea Dreams It Is the Sky: A Novella of Cosmic Horror - John Hornor Jacobs

Chad Lutzke appears AGAIN on my list, this time co-writing with another favorite author of mine, John Boden. A creatively told tale that takes its time to unfold. And then when it does, your heart snaps.

Out Behind the Barn - Chad Lutzke,John Boden

Lastly, one of my favorite horror authors: Michael Rowe. (One that I wish would write more in the genre.) A respected author and journalist, OCTOBER blew my mind. Maybe it could blow yours too?

October - Michael Rowe

Thanks for staying with me this far if you're still here. I appreciate you!

I hope you'll join me again at the end of 2019.