Char's Horror Corner: Top Ten Anthologies and Collections of 2018!

Darkest Hours - Mike Thorn Figures Unseen: Selected Stories - Steve Rasnic Tem, Matt Godfrey Pardon My Ghoulish Laughter - Donald E Westlake, Fredric Brown The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories, Volume Three - Charles Beaumont, J.B. Priestley, James Purdy Occasional Beasts: Tales - John Claude Smith Welcome to the Show: 17 Horror Stories – One Legendary Venue - Somer Canon, Rachel Autumn Deering, Brian Keene, Jeff Strand, Matt Hayward, Glenn Rolfe, Patrick Lacey, Matt Serafini, Adam Cesare, Jonathan Janz, Kelli Owen, Doug Murano, Mary SanGiovanni, Robert Ford, Bryan Smith, Booth Tarkington, John Skipp, Alan M. Clark Splatterpunk Fighting Back - Jack Bantry, Tim Curran, Glenn Rolfe, Bracken MacLeod, Kristopher Rufty, Adam Millard, John Boden, Matt Shaw, W.D. Gagliani, Elizabeth Power Hark! The Herald Angels Scream - Christopher Golden Doorbells at Dusk: Halloween Stories - Adam   Light, Gregor Xane, Josh Malerman, Jason  Parent, Evans Light All the Names They Used for God: Stories - Anjali Sachdeva

Welcome to my Top Ten Anthology and Short Story Collection List!

These are books that I read this year, but not necessarily published this year.

I happen to believe that novellas and short stories are the perfect length for horror stories, so I tend to read a lot of them over the course of a year. This year I read 14 collections and anthologies that rated over 4 stars. Here are what I thought were the best of them! (Click on the book cover to see my original review.)

Darkest Hours - Mike Thorn

DARKEST HOURS by Mike Thorn

An incredible collection, especially for a first effort by an author. I can't say enough good things about it!

Figures Unseen: Selected Stories - Steve Rasnic Tem,Matt Godfrey

FIGURES UNSEEN: SELECTED STORIES

by Steve Rasnic Tem, narrated by Matt Godfrey

Steve Rasnic Tem is a national treasure and I've been reading his short stories since I turned old enough to go to the library myself. (We won't say how long that's been, but it's in decades.) It's always been a mystery to me why he isn't more well known. This collection was narrated by the always excellent Matt Godfrey.

(The story CITY FISHING still haunts my mind.)

Pardon My Ghoulish Laughter - Donald E Westlake,Fredric Brown

PARDON MY GHOULISH LAUGHTER by Fredric Brown

This book was a gift to me from my Booklikes friend Tigus. I've read a story or two from Brown before, (THE GEEZENSTACKS!) but this collection opened my eyes to a wider variety of Brown's work. Thanks again, Tigus!

The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories, Volume Three - Charles Beaumont,J.B. Priestley,James Purdy

THE VALANCOURT BOOK OF HORROR STORIES, VOLUME 3

Edited by James Jenkins and Ryan Cagle

Another solid entry from the gentlemen over at Valancourt Press.

The two things I like most about these anthologies are that I've never read any of the stories before, and they are ALL good.

Occasional Beasts: Tales - John Claude Smith

OCCASIONAL BEASTS: TALES by John Claude Smith

Written by an author I've come to admire a lot over the last few years, this collection spotlights John Claude Smith's penchant for the dark and weird. LOVED it!

Welcome to the Show: 17 Horror Stories – One Legendary Venue - Somer Canon,Rachel Autumn Deering,Brian Keene,Jeff Strand,Matt Hayward,Glenn Rolfe,Patrick Lacey,Matt Serafini,Adam Cesare,Jonathan Janz,Kelli Owen,Doug Murano,Mary SanGiovanni,Robert Ford,Bryan Smith,Booth Tarkington,John Skipp,Alan M. Clark

WELCOME TO THE SHOW edited by Doug Murano

The authors featured within such as Brian Keene, Matt Hayward,Kelli Owen, Mary SanGiovanni and others should give you an idea of the quality of these tales. All of the authors joined us over in the Horror Aficonados group at Goodreads and answered our questions. That only added to my reading enjoyment!

Splatterpunk Fighting Back - Jack Bantry,Tim Curran,Glenn Rolfe,Bracken MacLeod,Kristopher Rufty,Adam Millard,John Boden,Matt Shaw,W.D. Gagliani,Elizabeth Power

SPLATTERPUNK FIGHTING BACK edited by Jack Bantry and Kit Power

Another anthology where the authors joined us in HA for a group read. What made this anthology unique was that the profits were donated to charity. Featuring authors like Tim Curran, Bracken MacLeod and Kristopher Rufty among others-the variety here was stunning.

Hark! The Herald Angels Scream - Christopher Golden

HARK! THE HERALD ANGELS SCREAM edited by Christopher Golden

A fun anthology with stories centered around Christmas. Even though there was a central theme the variety of the stories ranged from poignant and sad to downright scary. What fun!

Doorbells at Dusk: Halloween Stories - Adam   Light,Gregor Xane,Josh Malerman,Jason  Parent,Evans Light

DOORBELLS AT DUSK edited by Evans Light

A super fun anthology centered around my favorite holiday, Halloween!

All the Names They Used for God: Stories - Anjali Sachdeva

ALL THE NAMES THEY USED FOR GOD: STORIES by Anjali Sachdeva

A diverse debut collection! Spanning different areas of the world and different time periods, this was an impressive book!

Thanks for staying with me this far if you're still here. I appreciate you!

I hope you'll join me again at the end of 2019.