Char's Horror Corner: Top Ten Novels of 2018

Creature (Fiction Without Frontiers) - Hunter Shea The Woman in the Woods - John Connolly The Listener - Robert R. McCammon Give Me Your Hand - Megan Abbott We Sold Our Souls - Grady Hendrix Providence: A Novel - Caroline Kepnes Behind the Door - Mary SanGiovanni Husk - J. Kent Messum Cold in July - Joe R. Lansdale Tarnished City (Dark Gifts) - Vic James

Welcome to my Top Ten Novels List!

I read 157 books over the course of this year and here's what I thought were the best of the best novels.

(These are books that I read this year, not necessarily published this year.)

Click on the cover to read my review.

Let's get started!

Creature (Fiction Without Frontiers) - Hunter Shea

CREATURE was not what I expected at all.

Hunter Shea is great for creature feature novellas, and that's what I expected from this book. Instead, I got punched in the gut and my heart was torn out!

The Woman in the Woods - John Connolly

The Charlie Parker series continues with what I think was the best entry yet!

Sixteen novels in and at this point, I can't imagine a world without a new Charlie Parker book every year.

The Listener - Robert R. McCammon

Robert McCammon, author of BOY'S LIFE, (my favorite book of all time), crushes my heart again with this book about an exceptional young black man. (Technically, I read this book in 2017, but it didn't come out until 2018. So sue me!) This book is beautiful and brutal all at once, and features characters both good and bad, that you'll never forget. (I love you, Curtis!)

Give Me Your Hand - Megan Abbott

Megan Abbott is a recent discovery of mine thanks to author Randy Chandler. Now I'm lined up every time she has a new book out. She writes about women like no one else.

We Sold Our Souls - Grady Hendrix

With this entry Grady Hendrix became one of my favorite authors. MY BEST FRIEND'S EXORCISM was great, but this book knocked me out. Maybe because I loved Metal back in the day, and also because the protagonist reminded me of Joan Jett. Whatever the reasons, I LOVED this book!

Providence: A Novel - Caroline Kepnes

Caroline Kepnes hit my list of favorite authors in 2018.

I listened to both YOU and HIDDEN BODIES, (both of which are on my TOP TEN AUDIOBOOKS of the year list), and then I read this one back in June. All I can say is I know that I will read anything she puts out. She could write out a grocery list and I would read it with pleasure!

Behind the Door - Mary SanGiovanni

After reading BEHIND THE DOOR this year, I know that I will be catching up on more of Mary SanGiovanni's  backlog while staying up to date with her latest releases. With a distinct voice and style, she causes me to think-and her characters in this one are quite memorable!

Husk - J. Kent Messum

This is probably my most recent read that made it to this list. Fast paced, imaginative and adventurous, this book has more of a science fiction base, but there are horrific aspects as well. I was really impressed!

Cold in July - Joe R. Lansdale

The Champion Mojo Storyteller strikes again!

Tarnished City (Dark Gifts) - Vic James

This was more of a dark fantasy than horror, but I don't really care for labels as much as I care about a good story and mark my words this was one.A follow up to the previous year's GILDED CAGE, I thought this was an imaginative story about young adults, but so, so dark that it surprised me. Who doesn't love a good surprise?

Thanks for staying with me this far if you're still here. I appreciate you!

I hope you'll join me again at the end of 2019 for another list of my favorite books of the year. I hope that your New Year is also filled with outstanding and amazing reads!