ODE TO DEATH by Andrew Lennon

Ode to Death - Andrew Lennon

ODE TO DEATH is a collection of short stories and poetry that has a lot going for it!

I've been a fan of Andrew Lennon's for a while now and when he asked if I would be willing to read an ARC of his latest, I hopped on the chance! (Not as quickly as I would have liked, but what can you do?)

This collection started out with a humdinger, HOUSE OF ILLUSION. Spooky clowns + spooky carnival = Happy Char! This was my favorite story in the book.

I also very much enjoyed SANTA CLAUS COMES AT NIGHT, (this one actually gave me a nightmare, and I NEVER have nightmares), RED SHOES, (which had absolutely nothing to do with the Elvis Costello song), ONE NIGHT IN HOTEL, and THE SECRET LIFE OF MY IMAGINARY FRIEND, (written with Stephen White.) I also liked the poems that are sprinkled throughout in between the stories.

So why only 3 stars if I liked and even loved most of these stories and poems? It was the editing. There were a lot of errors here, like passed instead of past, (more than once), and also a lot of missing words or the wrong words. Every time I noticed those, it took me out of the story. This took my rating from 3.5/5 down to 3/5.

I will still read pretty much anything from Andrew Lennon, (in fact, I'm reading a collection he helped to edit right now), but the grammatical errors here took away from my enjoyment of the book. I still recommend it, but beware of these issues.

*Thanks to Andrew Lennon for the e-ARC of this book, in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.*