IN THE SCRAPE by James Newman and Mark Steensland

In The Scrape - Mark Steensland, James R. Newman

Two authors, writing seamlessly together, produced a coming of age novella that cracked my heart.

Matthew and Jacob just want to get away from their abusive father. Trying to put aside enough money to get to California where their mom is now living, there isn't much Jacob won't do. He's the oldest and he can't stand to see his little brother abused and beaten-not one more time. On top of all this, Jacob also has to deal with the local bully. Will Jacob and Matthew get away? Will they be able to find their mother in California? You'll have to read this to find out!

I read this novella in two sittings. The last half especially, hummed right along with a tension that was palpable. I wanted to reach out and hug these kids. I wanted to tell them several things throughout this book, but I never got the chance to breathe! As I said above, the writing style was seamless-I couldn't tell who wrote what and I didn't care. I just wanted these children to be okay.

I can't say too much more without spoiling everything, (and the synopsis gives away a lot already), but if you enjoy a good coming of age tale, scoop up this novella quick! Spend some time with Matthew and Jacob. They need your support!

Highly recommended!

Get your copy here: IN THE SCRAPE

*Thanks to Silver Shamrock Publishing for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*