SHADOW DIVERS by Robert Kurson, narrated by Michael Pritchard

Shadow Divers: Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of WWII (audiobook) - Robert Kurson

Finding the book Rocket Men: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man's First Journey to the Moon incredibly entertaining and informative, I took the recommendation of a friend and put this one on hold at my library.

I downloaded the audio version and I didn't care for the narrator quite as much as I did with ROCKET MEN. (I see now there is a version narrated by Campbell Scott! That was not available at my library.)  Also, this version seemed to have been adapted from CDs because everyone once in a while the narrator announced to go to the next one. Lastly, the quality of the recording wasn't that great either- it sounded static-y at times.

Audio portion aside, this was an extremely informative book regarding deep sea diving. After reading this, I now know that it's something I will never do. I can't even walk around above ground without stubbing toes and running into things. During a deep sea dive, any stumble, any unsure footing could and probably will result in death. As would snagging your line, rubbing up against something abrasive, running out of air or resurfacing too soon. And I haven't even mentioned narcosis yet.

I also learned a lot about history and history books, in general. Turns out a lot of the time, the facts you think you know are not the facts. Just ask the divers in this book who worked for YEARS trying to identify the German U-boat they found off the Jersey shore. They worked tirelessly to discover where the boat came from, who was on it, etc...

Overall, I found this book interesting and informative and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in the subjects I mentioned above.

*Thank you to my local library for the free download! Libraries RULE!