CRICKET HUNTERS by Jeremy Hepler

Cricket Hunters - Jeremy Hepler

CRICKET HUNTERS proved to be compelling reading. Once I got going, I didn't want to put it down!

In the town of Oak Mott, Texas, back in 1998, Celia and her gang of friends call themselves Cricket Hunters. All is fun and games until one of them disappears. Fast forward fifteen years, and another member of their group vanishes-but this time it's Celia's husband. In her search for him, eerie things are happening. On top of that his family is blaming her for his absence. Will Celia and her group ever learn what happened to their missing friend? Will present time Celia find or discover what happened to her husband? You'll have to read this to find out!

I had a few issues with this book. At first, I wasn't sure if I was meant to be feeling empathy or sympathy for any of the characters. (I'm still not sure, really.) I found that task difficult. The only characters I truly liked were Natalie and Omar, and they weren't around as much as I would have liked. Luckily, I don't need to like any of the characters as long as the plot grabs me and this one did.

One other thing that bothered me, and this is purely personal is

the violence done to various cats. I'm a cat owner and I didn't like that one bit.

(show spoiler)

I understood the reasons behind why it was done and I did keep reading, but I didn't like it.

Because I found the plot engaging and the mystery interesting, I stuck with it and was surprised by a few things along the way. I always love when that happens because I'm rarely surprised these days. Overall, this was a fine coming of age story, (with some horrific aspects), as well as a suspenseful mystery and I recommend it!

Available Sunday September 1st!

Get your copy here: CRICKET HUNTERS

*Thanks to Silver Shamrock publishing for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review. This is it!