SLASH by Hunter Shea

Slash (Fiction Without Frontiers) - Hunter Shea

SLASH is the literary equivalent of a B-movie, and I thought it was a blast!

5 years after being the sole survivor in a real life urban-exploration trip gone wrong, Ashley is still trying to get over the murders of her friends and her survivor's guilt. The murderer, tagged "The Wraith" by the press, was never caught. Being celebrated as a "final girl" by groups of twisted followers doesn't help her to forget about it. Hearing the news that the site of the murders, the abandoned Hayden Resort, is about to be torn down, brings things even closer to the brink. Her fiancee, Todd, does his best to make sure Ashley feels loved, but even he cannot help her live with what happened. After she hangs herself, Todd discovers clues she left behind, and he, with a few of their very best friends, return to the resort to try to solve the mystery of the massacre, before the Hayden is torn down for good. Will Todd and his friends solve the mystery? Will they survive their visit? You'll have to read this to find out!

I felt like SLASH was a lot shorter than it actually was, because it was very hard to put down. After a little time meeting the characters and getting to know them, the pace picks up and I actually felt breathless at a couple of points because everything was progressing so fast.

What better place than an abandoned resort to set a horror story? Imagine the Stanley Hotel from The Shining, 70 years after it was abandoned. How scary would that be? The isolation and the detritus built up over years of break-ins, kids partying, urban explorers, etc.. both contributed to how real the setting felt and also to an increasing sense of paranoia as our brave group searched for clues. What was that noise? Debris settling, or the Wraith?

I can't say anymore without spoiling anything, (the bit about Ash hanging herself is right there in the synopsis). Following along with the B movie spirit of SLASH was a big bunch of fun for me. It was exciting, fast paced, thrilling and, at times, heart breaking. If this sounds like your cuppa, pre-order your copy of SLASH here: SLASH

Highly recommended, especially to fans of B-movies! *Thanks to Flame Tree Press for the e-ARC in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*