SKINWRAPPER by Stephen Kozeniewski

Skinwrapper - Stephen Kozeniewski

Science-Fiction stories have been rocking my boat this year and SKINWRAPPER is no exception!

A teenager is starting yet another day listening to her parents calmly argue while she is busy texting her best friend. Then, in only one second, her entire life changes forever. Her family's ship is attacked by Skinwrappers, (which vaguely reminded me of the Reavers from that show Firefly), and her only mission now is to keep herself alive. Will she accomplish that? You'll have to read this to find out!

Even though I read and loved Kozeniewski's BRAINEATER JONES, I haven't yet had a chance to get back to his work. At the time I was offered a digital ARC of this book, I didn't realize it was a companion piece to THE HEMATOPHAGES. That said, I didn't feel lost and this was perfectly fine as a stand alone novella.

I felt for the protagonist and I felt that the tension regarding her situation was an honest, human portrayal. In this world of Kozeniewski's creation, health care is so expensive that hardly anyone can afford to go to the doctor, never mind being able to afford treatment. He has taken an issue important to so many Americans, (and maybe all human beings?), and then set it down in outer space. (I may be viewing this incorrectly, not having read the other book, but this is my take on his world as of this moment.)

As I said above, I've only read two of his books so far, and even though SKINWRAPPER was novella length, I think he has improved his skill as a writer and as a world-builder. Now I need to get to reading THE HEMATOPHAGES!

Recommended, especially to readers of dark science fiction!

Get your copy here: SKINWRAPPER

*Thanks to the author for the e-book of this novella in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.*