My Top Ten Novellas of 2019

Coyote Songs - Gabino Iglesias When Darkness Loves Us (Paperbacks from Hell) - Elizabeth Engstrom, Grady Hendrix Walk the Darkness Down - John Boden A Lush and Seething Hell: Two Tales of Cosmic Horror - John Hornor Jacobs, Chuck Wendig Jimmy the Freak - Pete Kahle, Charles Colyott, Mark Steensland The Half-Freaks - Nicole Cushing In The Scrape - Mark Steensland, James R. Newman The Resurrectionists (The Salem Hawley Series) - Michael Patrick Hicks Water for Drowning - Ray Cluley, John Bayley Those Who Go Forth into the Empty Place of Gods - Jared Collins, Curtis M. Lawson, Doug Rinaldi

Here is a listing of the novellas I enjoyed most during 2019.

I love novellas and think they're one of the best ways to present dark fiction/horror tales. There is a bit more room to develop characters than in a short story,  but due to the abbreviated length, every word still has to count. All of these authors knocked their stories out of the park!

(Looking over this completed list, it looks like I am partial to Darkness and to Freaks. Yeah, that sounds about right!)

Please click the links if you'd like to read my review.

1. COYOTE SONGS by Gabino Iglesias.

What an amazing novella! It had me ugly crying at some points, and cheering at others. You will not come away unmoved-you have my personal guarantee.

2. WHEN DARKNESS LOVES US by Elizabeth Engstrom.

I might be cheating a little bit because this volume contains two novellas. So sue me.

They were both SO DAMN GOOD, featuring strong women I will never forget.

3. WALK THE DARKNESS DOWN by John Boden.

Weird and total nightmare fuel by one of my favorite authors. I will never ever forget Jubal and his sisters. Neither will you.

4. A LUSH AND SEETHING HELL by John Hornor Jacobs.

I'm cheating again because this volume also contains two novellas. I loved it so much, but I especially enjoyed the second tale MY HEART STRUCK SORROW. I'm a fan of Blues music and I don't know if any other story could be this perfect for me.

5. JIMMY THE FREAK by Charles Colyott and Mark Steensland.

This is a late entry to the list as I just read it last week. This little known but excellent novella deserves a bigger audience. It's poignant and brutal all at once.

6. THE HALF-FREAKS by Nicole Cushing.

A weird little tale-and Nicole is one of the BEST when it comes to those!

7. IN THE SCRAPE by James Newman and Mark Steensland.

A coming of age dark fiction tale. I was already a fan of James Newman and this novella made me a fan of Mr. Steensland as well.

8. THE RESURRECTIONISTS by Michael Patrick Hicks.

A nasty little historical fiction, Cthulhu mash-up. Crazy, right?

It was!

9. WATER FOR DROWNING by Ray Cluley.

I won the audio for this novella and fell in love with it. The world needs more mermaid stories.

10. THOSE WHO GO FORTH INTO THE EMPTY PLACE OF GODS by Curtis Lawson and Doug Rinaldi. I can't link you to my review because I haven't written it yet! (I read the whole thing just yesterday!)This novella was imaginative, creative, weird and...I need a sequel, and maybe a prequel too. I just need MORE. Now, please!

Thank you for reading this far and I hope you'll stay tuned for my top ten best novels of 2019 list!