My Top Ten Novels of 2019

The Fisherman - John Langan Grind Your Bones to Dust - Nicholas Sparks The Immaculate Void - Brian Hodge Hollow Kingdom - Kira Jane Buxton Rattlesnake Kisses - John Boden, Robert Ford Brides of Hanover Block (The Hanover Quartet Book 2) - Gregor Xane In the Valley of the Sun: A Novel - Andy  Davidson A Penny For Your Thoughts - Matt Hayward, Robert Ford The Worst is Yet to Come - S.P. Miskowski Patient Zero - Ray Porter, Jonathan Maberry

Here is my listing of the novels that I enjoyed most in 2019.

Click the titles if you'd like to read my review.

THE FISHERMAN by John Langan. Not only is this my favorite book of the year, it's one of my favorite books of all time and a great example of cosmic, quiet horror.

GRIND YOUR BONES TO DUST by Nicholas Day.

Nicholas Day is a new-to-me author and this novel blew me away.

Beautifully written, dark and chaotic-Mr. Day is one to watch.

THE IMMACULATE VOID by Brian Hodge.

I've been a fan of his work for years and books like this are the reason why.

If you're a horror/dark fiction fan, you need to be familiar with Mr. Hodge.

HOLLOW KINGDOM by Kira Jane Buxton.

This was a phenomenal debut novel. It's not even really horror, but it defies neat labels. It's a tale of the zombie apocalypse from the point of view of a domesticated crow named Shit Turd. Yep. Shit Turd. This book will touch you and if it doesn't, you should see a doctor because something is wrong with you.

RATTLESNAKE KISSES by Robert Ford and John Boden.

A short novel, but there's a lot of feeling packed in there, as well as some funny, bloody laughs.

BRIDES OF HANOVER BLOCK by Gregor Xane.

Probably the most off the wall book I've read this year. Erotic, gross, funny and creepy all at once-I can't wait for the next installment!

IN THE VALLEY OF THE SUN by Andy Davidson.

This was another new to me author I discovered this year. I adored this book and the subtlety of it. It's a beautifully written story about...? The author never says the word and I won't either. (Now if the publisher would just approve me for his next book that'd be great!  I hope you're reading this MCD x FSG Originals!)

A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS by Robert Ford and Matt Hayward.

This one gets the 2019 award for the funniest moment in prose. I'm still laughing about it.

THE WORST IS YET TO COME by S.P. Miskowski.

A tragically under-read author who writes scary, quiet horror that gets under your skin.

THE JOE LEDGER SERIES by Jonathan Maberry, read by Ray Porter.

No link because I've reviewed the books individually, but I've listened to this entire series this year, (except for the very last one). These audio books have helped me through a very tough time. I sometimes wonder if I would have made it through at all, without Joe Ledger keeping me company. Bravo to both the author and the narrator, because together? They are an unbeatable team.

Honorable Mention in Audios:

The Don Winslow series that started with THE POWER OF THE DOG and ended with THE BORDER. What a powerful and emotional ride these books were. Well researched and if you think about it? Some of the scariest books out there, not because they're horror books, but because they're based on some real life events.

Ray Porter reads these too and he is simply outstanding.