PANDEMONIUM by Luke Walker

Pandemonium - Luke Walker

PANDEMONIUM is a place, maybe not the capital of hell as it is in the epic Milton poem, but it's close!  Maybe it's more like Hotel California? Because once you check in, you never check out.

Hannah leaves work for the day, intent on getting home to care for her aging mother. Suddenly, a man walks up with a knife and bundles her into a van with even more men waiting inside. She is so surprised she barely has time to understand what's happening, never mind save herself. A few days and one failed escape attempt later they arrive at Pandemonium.

There, Hannah meets other men and women in the same situation and the story turns into something else altogether. Their leader, Monin,  loves them; he loves them with all of his heart. He is going to take care of them and all of their worries from the old world will disappear. And then, someone attempts to escape. Will they be successful? Will Hannah try to escape as well or will she be happy to remain there, free from the worries of work and family obligations? You'll have to read this to find out!

It's difficult to describe this book-it's dark fiction/horror,(obviously), but I also got a kind of cosmic horror vibe, or closer to an "other worlds overlapping and/or coexisting with ours" situation. There's also a bit of a cult feel to it-in regards to Monin. Who is this guy, (is he even a guy? Or something other-wordly?) What does he want? This is where the mystery and suspense comes in.

I have been reading Luke Walker's work for a while now and I have to say that it's these novels from him that I enjoy the most. By "these", I mean the ones with creative monsters,  horrible worlds, and truly evil people. I also enjoy his ability to create strong, believable women as protagonists in his books, and Hannah is definitely one of them.

I enjoyed the creativity, the horror and the gore, (those rat-things skeeved me out!), and I especially liked Hannah and Piotr as characters. I liked trying to determine what was going to happen next and for all of these reasons:

I recommend PANDEMONIUM!

Available tomorrow, but you can pre-order here: PANDEMONIUM

*I was provided an e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*