THE APOCALYPSE STRAIN by Jason Parent

The Apocalypse Strain - Jason  Parent

This horror/sci-fi mashup was fun as all get out!

At an isolated lab facility in Siberia a group of scientists are studying a material they nicknamed "Molli." Of course, everything is not as it seems on the surface, and not everyone at this lab is here to study. As with any new discovery, many creative uses for this new substance can be found, but what if it falls into the wrong hands? Is that what happened here? You'll have to read this to find out!

This isn't about a pandemic, just to be clear. Mr. Parent did not jump on that bandwagon. I chose to read this book as an homage to John Carpenter's The Thing, as well as, maybe, Alien. In that regard, as an homage, you really couldn't get much better than this.

THE APOCALYPSE STRAIN evokes all the emotions and feels that those two films did, plus some. With a diverse cast of characters, there's a certain point where everything takes off, however, the start is a little slow to get going. The second half of this revealed itself to my brain as a film.

There were a few things that didn't quite make sense, (the protestors outside a remote Siberian lab? What?), but I let them roll off because, hey-this is supposed to be fun! I'm sure some will say this is derivative of the films I've mentioned and other things too, and maybe it is. For me, reading it as an homage, it worked!

I had a lot of fun reading this, especially in the second half where everything really takes off. Recommended, especially to fans of The Thing and/or Alien!

Get your copy here: THE APOCALYPSE STRAIN

*Thank you to Flame Tree Press and to NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*