NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

NOS4A2 - Joe Hill

I had high hopes for this book, I admit it. I loved Mr. Hill's previous works and hoped that this one would be just as good. I was not disappointed.

This is the story of Victoria (Vic) who, as a young girl, discovers a very special covered bridge. From there this book takes off into an epic tale involving time travel, a beautiful Rolls Royce Wraith from 1938, a horrible man called Charlie Manx and...Christmas! It sounds crazy, right?
It is!

I thought Charlie Manx was one of the best villains I've come to "know" over the last few years. His sidekick, Bing, was even worse! (Or would that be better? I don't know.)

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. It's Mr. Hill's longest work to date and I liked having that additional time to sink my teeth into this story. There was one point around 75% through where the pacing slowed down just a little bit, but after that we RAN headlong towards the finish. The only complaint I have about this book was that I wanted to know more about Christmasland. We were heading towards the climax there for 600+ pages but by the time we got there, it was sort of briefly touched on and then that was it. I would love an entire book about Christmasland and the children that live there.(I hope Mr. Hill is paying attention!)

I recommend this story to any fans of Joe Hill's previous works, and to fans of his father. His style is all his own, but the subject matter is reminiscent of his dad's works. I think if you like S. King, you will really enjoy this story. I know I did.

Full Disclosure: I received an advanced reading copy of this book through the Goodreads First Reads program.