House of Shadows by Walter Spence

House of Shadows (The Breed Wars, #1) - Walter Spence

4.5 stars, rounded up to 5!

I read this book with my horror group at Shelfari and found it to be an original twist on an old theme.

Young Eugene looks out for his sister Barbie, because his mom is often otherwise engaged. Sometimes they are left alone for days at a time without anything in the house to eat other than bread and ketchup.
Then, a mysterious woman catches sight of him and Barbie and their lives are changed forever. In a good way? You will have to read this book to find out.

I was pleasantly surprised at the turns taken in this story. The characters were well drawn and believable, (as believable as can be in a story of this type), and I took a great liking to the protagonist, Eugene.

As I understand it, there is more to the story coming from Mr. Spence. I will be looking forward to that release. Recommended!

Note: In the interest of full disclosure, the author is part of our horror group at Shelfari, but welcomed honest opinions on his work. He also offered free copies to our members. I paid for my copy and even if I had not, my review is an honest one.