The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

The Haunting of Hill House (MP3 Book) - Shirley Jackson, Bernadette Dunne

This is a super scary book with sentences that you want to stop and marvel over. Even though this is an older story, and there is no blood and gore, it's still a chilling tale.

(I am listening to it on audio this time around and it's still spectacular.) Consider this sentence: "Good God, whose hand was I holding? "I am firmly convinced that this opening paragraph could be the best in all of literature:

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone."

Quote: “I am like a small creature swallowed whole by a monster, she thought, and the monster feels my tiny little movements inside.”

I could go on spouting quotes, but I will stop here. This book is a classic for a reason. Shirley Jackson's prose is outstanding; even listening to it on audio, some sentences are breathtaking. I know you probably think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. If you've never read this classic horror novel, I highly recommend it! You won't be sorry.