The Harrowing

The Harrowing - Alexandra Sokoloff I read this with my horror group at Shelfari. I picked up this book during a free promotion by the author.
This is a story set at a Midwestern college campus. A handful of students are staying on campus over the Thanksgiving holiday. Of course, this is when things start to happen.
One of the students finds a Ouija board and together the group makes contact with a former student at the college, Zachary. From there, things go from bad to worse.
I don't want to spoil any part of the plot, but I can say a few things without doing so. It seemed to me that this book peaked too early. The pacing was very good up until about 2/3 of the way through. Then the excitement dropped off and left me somewhat uninterested in the final denouement.
Also, though I did like some of the characters, they kind of resembled the kids from The Breakfast Club. We had a slut,a jock, etc. A few of the characters were not fully fleshed out any further than their Breakfast Club monikers.
I did like the writing style and the bits of Freud and Jung that were slipped in as part of one student's POV. I also liked the usage of Jewish mythology-something that I was not familiar with at all. I like being introduced to new myths or spiritual beings.
All in all, this was a fun read. I would've liked to have the characters be more fully developed and I would've liked the excitement to have lasted all the way to the end and not just to the 2/3 point. Thank you to Ms. Sokoloff for the free read.