The Hoard by Alan Ryker

The Hoard - Alan Ryker

4.5 stars
I loved this book!
I've been a fan of Alan Ryker since I read Burden Kansas.  I thought it might be hard for him to live up to a story that was that good. I was wrong.

The Hoard is about a hoarder (surprise!). I don't know too much about them since I avoid that TV show. I can't watch that stuff-all that garbage hanging around, cats all over the place, rodents and who knows what else - it's gross and it gives me the heebie-jeebies. So did this story.

What happens when a hoarder's house gets out of control? What happens when social services shows up to remove the person from their home and they don't want to go? What happens when something burrows deep into the hoard and calls it home?

Those questions and more are answered in this story but the answers are not pretty. You may find yourself getting a little itchy & squirmy while reading, but that's ok, because you just HAVE to find out what happens next. I found myself glued to the pages, despite my discomfort. I cared about the characters and felt compelled to finish and find out what happened to them. That wasn't pretty either but I loved it!

Mr. Ryker pulls no punches, so prepare yourself and don't complain when you start to squirm. Trust me, it will be worth it.

Disclosure: I received this novel for free through a contest held by Darkfuse last summer. If I hadn't, I would have purchased it on its release date anyway.