Siren by John Everson

Siren - John Everson

In light of the book giveaway going on at Ravenous Reads for Mr. Everson's new book Violet Eyes, I thought I would re-post my review of his most excellent book, Siren.

If you would like to enter to win a copy of Violet Eyes, check out the Ravenous Reads interview with John here: Ravenous Reads

This is the first novel by John Everson that I've read. I will be reading more.

Evan and his wife Sarah have lost their 12 year old son in a drowning incident. The stress of the loss of their only child results in their relationship drifting apart...Sarah likes to drown herself in alcohol and Evan likes to torture himself by walking up and down the beach every night. The very same beach at which his son drowned.

During one of these nightly walks, Evan hears a beautiful song. Following it, he finds a beautiful naked woman who suddenly dives into the ocean from the rocky outcropping on which they stood. Thinking that she will drown, he gets himself back to the beach to see if he can find her. He can't. Until he hears the song again, a few nights later. Needless to say, it's the song of the Siren.

From there the story of the Siren is told in a couple of ways, from Evan's viewpoint in the current time period, and from the viewpoint of the captain of a rum running ship at the end of the 1800's. The history of the Siren is sensuous, sexual and horrific. There is a heck of a lot of sex which sometimes bothers me, but not in this novel, as it is part of the story. These scenes are extremely well written and suck you in (like that pun?). Too bad the siren sings for her supper, and her supper is men. In addition to the sex scenes there are a lot of very gory scenes which were also well written and necessary to the story.

Some may not like the ending, but I definitely did. I felt that it was really the only way it could end.

All in all, I thought this was a terrific novel, that moved incredibly fast and left me thinking that any man who, while walking the shore, hears a beautiful intriguing song...should RUN!