Shattered by C. S. Kane

Shattered - C.S. Kane

This is C. S. Kane's debut novella, and it was a cracking good time!

Here is part of the blurb:

"Stacey's fiance Liam has just landed a new job in the city, and the young couple is forced to move into a low-budget flat in a seedy neighborhood. Soon after they move in, however, Stacey begins to experience terrible nightmares, vivid hallucinations, cold spells, and frequent panic attacks. As she spirals deeper and deeper into what appears to be a physical and mental breakdown, putting her university career and relationship in jeopardy, she befriends the reclusive old woman next door who tells her chilling stories of the house's former occupants."

With our protagonist, Stacey, writing her thesis on "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James, Ms. Kane creates her very own ambiguous tale. I'm a big fan of the kind of book that allows the reader to interpret WTF just happened (??), for themselves.

There were a few genuinely creepy moments,(and I mean truly creepy scenes), that made me glad that I wasn't home alone when I read this. Overall, I think this was a fantastic debut by Ms. Kane and I can't wait to read more of her work. The Darkfuse Kindle Club strikes again with another fantastic novella! Recommended!