Floating Staircase by Ron Malfi

Floating Staircase - Ronald Malfi

I finished reading this with my Shelfari horror group on Friday. I've been mulling it over for a few days and this is what I came up with.

Floating Staircase is a well written tale about Travis Glasgow, a man who is haunted. Haunted by his new home and the things that may have been done there and haunted by the death of his brother, (which occurred when they were both very young). On top of all that, he is struggling to feel worthy in the eyes of his remaining brother, who is a cop. We join Travis as he tries to unravel these mysteries, while at the same time trying to come to terms over what happened to his brother all those years ago.

This was an atmospheric tale, but not quite as atmospheric as I would have liked. While I enjoyed the characters and felt for them, (most especially Elijah and Veronica), I didn't feel that this story offered anything new or original to the genre. I guess that's hard to do with things being as they are in the publishing world, but I do think this story needed that little extra something to boost it over the wall of the merely average. With that in mind, I rated this book 3.5 stars, rounded up to a 4 for the quality of the writing. While this is no Shirley Jackson type of tale, I do recommend it for fans of hauntings and mysteries-you could do much worse.