Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon

Harvest Home - Thomas Tryon

I'm reposting my review because this book is currently on sale in the U.S. for Kindle. It's only $1.99! What a deal! Click here-Harvest Home.

This book was incredible! It was beautifully written and paced. The story successfully blends mankind's (or perhaps womankind's ) oldest themes with small town New England life- in the most creepy atmosphere possible. A slow burning tale involving a move from the city to a simple country life ruled by the land. These characters were multilayered and fascinating.

This is an example of why horror literature (that's right, I called it literature!), became so popular in America in the 80's. Authors like Thomas Tryon sparked the imagination of those horror writers  that became the mainstream later on, like King or McCammon. Here, you can find the seeds of all that came later. Children of the Corn? It's here. Evil in a small town? It's here.

Some may find the subject to be dated or the denouement disappointing, but that wasn't the case with me. It was refreshingly, (mostly), gore free, while maintaining a humming level of tension throughout. I sat down and read the last hour and a half straight through. It was a wild ride and I highly recommend it!