Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island by Michael Phillip Cash

Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island - Michael Phillip Cash

I read Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island with my Shelfari horror group. It started off as a promising story. Paul Russo lost his wife to cancer. Feeling very sorry for himself and for his three children, Paul struggles to keep his head above water with daily life.

Then the nightmares begin. And he isn't the only one having them-his son Jesse is too. These were the best parts of the book, in my mind, and I enjoyed the dream sequences a lot. However, they were not enough to elevate this story above the level of just okay.

I will leave off the plot at this point and just share my thoughts. This book was very fast paced and I did enjoy that. Approaching this story as a fan of horror, I did feel let down. There were no true scares and the ending wrapped up way too nicely for me to thoroughly enjoy it. There were a good amount of grammar and editing errors, too. For instance, when someone shuttered in fear, that made me laugh and took me right out of the story.

To sum up, I thought this was just an okay read. I would recommend it to those readers who like their horror light. I think a true, experienced horror fan will find this book a little bit boring and short on scares. I do think the author has potential though, and I am not ruling out reading more of his work at some time in the future. Just not the near future.