The King in Yellow by Robert Chambers

The King in Yellow and Other Horror Stories - Robert W. Chambers, E.F. Bleiler

Here I go again, reading an old book from 1895. I'm excited about it too. Why, you may ask? I'll tell you!

1.) As many of you know, I love to read classic horror stories,  most especially ones that later influenced authors that I enjoy. Mr. Chambers  heavily influenced Lovecraft, even though Lovecraft is quoted as saying some not so nice things about him. I also like that Carcosa ( A word used in The King in Yellow, was actually borrowed from Ambrose Bierce.) Again, we have authors influencing authors throughout time. How cool is that?

2.) Because of my love of classic horror as well as contemporary, books like this can open my eyes to how certain modern works came about. I love to see old mythoses, (like the Cthulhu mythoses by Lovecraft), and see what modern authors make of them today.

3.) Continuing the "authors influencing authors" theme- turns out they also influence TV producers and writers.  There is a new show on HBO titled "True Detective". (It's fantastic and gritty so far!) The King in Yellow has been mentioned on that show several times already, which is part of the reason I decided to read this book at this time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this (if you did!). I will be back when I finish this old collection of tales and tell you what I thought of them.