Red Cells by Jeffrey Thomas

Red Cells - DarkFuse

Prepare yourself for yet another fantastic story by Jeffrey Thomas! Fantastic in the true sense of the word. Fantasticimaginative or fanciful; remote from reality. It doesn't get much further from reality than this story. I have enjoyed the work of Mr. Thomas that I have read so far, especially his collection Beyond the Door. (You can check out my review on it here: Beyond the Door.)

This tale takes place in a prison. But it's not a regular prison. It's not even on this planet. Yeah, this is one of those kind of stories. In this prison, inmates are dying and no one knows how or why. All they know is the prisoner is gone and their cell is soaked in blood. A lot of blood.

That's all I will say about the plot. This tale features a recurring character from Mr. Thomas' Punktown series, Jeremy Stake.  I actually haven't read the Punktown novels yet,  but that did not hinder my enjoyment of this dark science fiction/horror tale.

If you have an hour or so to spend, and you enjoy dark science fiction mixed with a bit of gore and a nice mystery, this is the novella for you. Highly recommended!