Thor by Wayne Smith

Thor - Wayne    Smith

My experience with this book reminds me why reading groups are so much fun.

This is not a book I would have chosen to read on my own. The premise sounds so....hinky, (a story told through the eyes of the family dog), I almost decided to sit this one out. But then a friend of mine gave it a 5 star rating, so I figured I HAD to at least give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised!

Thor protects his Pack from any and all predators, no matter their form-human or canine. But when Uncle Ted comes to visit, (Thor's favorite person that is not part of his Pack), Thor starts to act weird, watching Ted wherever he goes, sometimes watching him all night long. Why? You will have to read this to find out.

I think this book would appeal to animal and/or dog lovers. The author did a good job of making the reader believe that he or she is right there in Thor's head. A lot of canine behaviors are explained, and though one or two of Thor's thoughts did not ring true, most of them did.

So I was pleasantly surprised and I liked the idea of the dog's POV. Why am I only rating this 3.5 stars, you ask? Simple-typos and missing words. Way more typos and missing words than I care to deal with. It was the strength of the story that carried me through this one and I am glad I stuck with it.

To sum up, I liked this book and I think it has a lot to offer. It doesn't easily fit into the genre of horror or dark fiction, (I think it's more of a thriller), but I liked it just the same. If it weren't for the typos and missing words, this tale would have easily earned at least 4 stars. I would read more by this author in the future, in the hopes that he now has a better proofreader.