Dead Roots by Brian Geoffrey Wood

Dead Roots - Brian Geoffrey Wood

This was a fast paced horror tale that I ripped through in a couple of days.

I found the premise of the story to be interesting but the execution of it only so-so. The author definitely succeeded in giving the reader a fast paced adventure, but I found the character development to be lacking. I'm not sure if I was supposed to like Tom, the main character, but I really didn't. Same with his partner Artie, his boss Maggie and their Medium, Keda. I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't like them, but I didn't.  One other thing I didn't like, and this was completely personal, was all the damn smoking going on. I just quit smoking on Tuesday and it was very difficult for me when someone was lighting up on every other page.

Overall, I did enjoy this story. While I do think it could have been better, I also think it could have been a lot worse. It was very well edited, which is nice to see with an independent author, and the writing wasn't bad either. The problems I had with this book were solely my own and another reader might like it a lot more than I did. I will say that this book had the perfect setup for a sequel, which I believe is already available. At this point, I am not sure if I will read it or not.