The Troop by Nick Cutter

The Troop - Nick Cutter

See that picture up there? Do you know what that is? It's a tapeworm. Which is a nasty, (sometimes not so) little,  parasite that can infest pretty much any living thing.

That said, this was a story about a Boy Scout troop that visits an island to do their yearly Boy Scout stuff. But this will be the last trip together, ever. Can you guess why?

I had a blast with this book. It was a quick read and I loved the format in which it was told. The only issue that I had with it is that some of the characters are almost cutouts of a sort...you have the bully, the quiet kid, the fat kid, etc.. I did care for a few of the scouts and that's what made the story compelling for me. That and the reasons behind the tapeworms. Plus, there is also the writing-I liked the style a lot. I submit this quote:

"His fear was whetted to such a fine edge that he could actually feel it now: a disembodied ball of baby fingers inside his stomach, tickling him from the inside. That's what mortal terror felt like, he realized. Tiny fingers tickling you from the inside."

If you have a strong stomach and this story sounds like something that would interest you, I say give it a shot. Recommended for fans of creature features, coming of age stories and those horror fans that like a good gross out!