The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Shadow of the Wind - Lucia Graves, Carlos Ruiz Zafón

“Every book, every volume you see here, has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its pages, its spirit grows and strengthens.”

I don't always read horror. I love to read classics and in my mind, this tale is a classic.

This is the first book in a series called The Cemetery of Forgotten Books. The story is set in Barcelona shortly after the Spanish Civil War. Written originally in Spanish, and translated by Lucia Graves, this tome has something for everyone.

A young Daniel visits the Cemetery of Forgotten Books with his father a few years after the loss of his mother. Throughout the halls and pathways that are the Cemetery he roams looking for the one book that he will bring back from the dead. He chooses "The Shadow of the Wind" by Julian Carax. Daniel reads the book and loves it and like most of us booklovers would do, he begins to search out more books by Carax. And so begins the mysteries at the center of this story.

That's all I will say about the plot. There are thousands of reviews about this book and I doubt that I can say anything that would prove to be original. So, simply stated-this story has everything: love, death, acts of kindness, mystery, surprises, passionate sex, corruption, and a wicked sense of humor. This tale has that magic about it that is so rare. (Like the feeling I got when I first read Boy's Life by Robert McCammon, and if you've read it, you know what I'm talking about.) I absolutely loved it and if this description sounds good to you, I say take a chance and buy this book. You won't be disappointed!

A big thank you goes out to my friend Chris McCaffrey for being the first to recommend this book to me. Thanks, Chris!!