Worlds of Hurt by Brian Hodge

Worlds of Hurt - Brian Hodge

Wow! I don't know what other word would best describe how I felt upon finishing this collection from Brian Hodge. I've read a few of his books in the past and have always been satisfied. However, these stories are not only original, they add an entirely new level to Mr. Hodge's already impressive skills.

This collection consists of 3 short stories and one novella. All four of the stories are connected, some more loosely than others. The Misbegotten Mythos is a dark world, indeed. The writing was outstanding, as I have come to expect from this author.

A few quotes that stood out to me:

"And I knew that those things we find most beautiful are made more so by the brief span of their lives."

"There are all kinds of tyranny employed around us. Bombs are but the loudest."

This collection is beautifully dark and dense. This meant that I had to take it slow so as to be sure everything sunk in. This was especially true of the last story, the novella "When the Bough Doesn't Break." All I can say about this one is WOW. It's not what I expected, AT ALL. You think the story is going one way...but it's not. Gory, dark and deep with all kinds of levels to it...I know I will be mulling it over for quite a while. There isn't much here to credit to God, in whatever form you see him or her. At least, not on the surface. In that regard, this read will not please everyone.

Overall, I found this to be a thoroughly engrossing read, but not a quick one. To be honest, it may take another read in the future for me to be sure that I "got" everything I was supposed to "get". I will happily look forward to doing so.  Recommended for fans of dark fiction!

Mr. Hodge sent me an e-copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. This is it!