Deadman's Road by Joe. R. Lansdale

Deadman's Road - Joe R. Lansdale

I checked this audio book out from my local library and I thought it was a lot of fun. Even though I own quite a few books written by Joe Lansdale, I'm sorry to admit that I have read nothing by him, with the exception of one or two short stories. When I came across this audio book in my library's catalogue, I decided to give it a shot and I'm glad I did.

This gun toting, irreverent, Reverend Jebediah Mercer is a badass and he's funny as hell. There were a number of times where my coworkers directly outside of my office came in to see what I was doing because I was laughing so hard. These stories were just plain fun.

Western horror is a thing I have recently discovered and was one of the reasons I picked up this novel. It wasn't as western-y as I had hoped, though. Meaning there were no moral lessons to be learned, or any of the type of historical fiction where you accidentally learn stuff. This was all out western fun with the addition of werewolves, zombies, ghosts and such. Combined with the wicked sense of humor of Jebediah, this book was a good time.

I liked the narrator, even though I didn't think I would when I started this book. However, as it went on, his voice grew on me, and if I read any more stories about Rev. Jed, this is how I will always hear him. (I don't know if there even are any more stories about Rev. Jed, but when I'm done with this review, I'm going to go find out.)

Overall, this was a successful venture for me and now I'm going to have to move up all those Lansdale books in my TBR. Recommended for those who enjoy humor and western type monster tales. I think Jeff Strand fans would also get a kick out of this book.