The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort

The Wolf of Wall Street - Jordan Belfort

First off, Jordan Belfort is a douchebag to beat all douchebags. The level of douchebaggery that he attained has never before been reached.  I listened to the audio book and I'm not sure how the narrator could bring himself to even talk about these things without being ashamed. (The narrator, Bobby Cannavale  did an excellent job; I think he was the part of the book that I liked the best.)

All this book consists of is scene after scene of reckless living, snorting massive amounts of cocaine, (20 gram rocks), followed by the downing of quaaludes, Xanax, weed, and anything else he could get his hands on. Bring in a bunch of hookers, labeled as if they were stocks, the blue chips being the best. Toss in some opulence of the highest order, yachts, staffs of 25+ people kissing his ass, cars, airplanes and helicopters. All that together adds up to this book.

This man has no respect for women, has barely any respect for anyone, really. He treats his wife like shit, he calls her the luscious duchess for most of the book. He has pet names for everyone and they got on my nerves.

These scenes are intermixed with his horrible employees at his brokerage firm bullying people on the phone to buy, buy, buy. (I've read that the movie Boiler Room is loosely based on this douche.) Surprisingly, there was more of the douchebaggery that I mentioned above than there is of his illegal activities in the stock market.

All that being said, I do have a slight respect for this man because he started off selling Italian ices on the beach during the summer to earn money. He is a self made man. That's the only good thing I have to say about the guy.

Anyway, I was slightly fascinated with the level of debauchery achieved, and that was the only thing that kept me reading. In the end though, I was just not impressed. That sort of douchery doesn't make for much of a life and doesn't make for much of a book either. Maybe it makes for a good movie, I will have to see.

Recommend for fans of debauchery at the highest levels.