Satan's Fan Club by Mark Kirkbride

Satan's Fan Club - Mark Kirkbride

When this book came up for review at Horror After Dark I was excited because I saw a blurb from Sandy Deluca on the book’s Amazon page and I also saw one from Ronald Malfi. With two authors that I respect providing blurbs, I figured I couldn’t go wrong.

This story started out with a fairly standard prologue. But once the story got going I was intrigued. The writing in this book was good. The editing was also. I believe I only saw one error throughout the entire novel.

I had no idea what was going to happen in this story. So when it happened, I was shocked and grossed out. Seriously, this novel took an ewwwy turn. I have no problems with ewww, in fact, I love ewww, but it didn’t work for me with this book. After thinking about it for a few days, I figured out why. It’s because I didn’t care for the characters. I didn’t care what happened to them one way or another. Now this is a personal thing and another reader may feel differently. I can only write about my own experience.

This book started off a little slow, but then towards the middle the pace picked up and fairly raced toward the denouement. I will admit surprise at how everything turned out, and I am rarely surprised. I can’t say much more about it without spoiling it for the next reader.

There is one thing that I outright disliked and that was the cover. It just doesn’t work for me. I’ve now read a few books published by Omnium Gatherum and I’ve enjoyed them all. This one was no exception. It was well written, the pacing was decent and the story itself was a nice change from the standard fare that I thought I was being served. I enjoyed it, I just did not connect with characters. I would be willing to read more from this author in the future.

I received a free copy of this book to review for Horror After Dark.